Wednesday 1 February 2017

Sara Process and Production Lesson 5

Within this process and production lesson with Sara we were told that we were going to be creating animated piece like an infographic. I found that this animation would be very creative but also very challenge, as I am still a beginner when it comes to after effects. For the first part of the lesson we had to create a map of our choice, to do this we had to quickly create this in the programme Adobe Illustrator. However we needed to make sure that the map had a reason like it was going to follow a journey. I decided to choose the journey that I take when I'm going home to work on the weekends.

The next part that I had to do was to import the map into After Effects using the process of production lesson I was then able to place this in the timeline so that I would be able to work with the Illustrated map that I had created. I then wanted to create a line that would trace over and follow the line that I had already drawn on the map whilst I was using the programme Adobe Illustrator. To do this I had to use the pen tool to create a line in After Effects that would trace over the existing line. Once I had done this I was then able to add a stroke effect so that the line that I had created in After Effects would light up and would stand out and highlight the path that I have to take when I go to work from home. I do feel that the map that I have created for this project and animation is slightly complex.

To create the stroke effect I had to follow the process of Effect > Generate > Stroke. This then brought up an option menu that I would be able to work with in on order for the design to work. I then needed to make sure that the path option had mask 1 selected, I was then able choose the colour that I wanted to use for the line. I decided to use the colour red, so that it would stand out on the purple line that I had already created. In order for the stroke effect to work I had to make sure that the timeline play header was at Zero, I then clicked on the stopwatch for the end option and changed the percentage from 100% to 0%. After I had done this I then moved the play header forward to about 2 seconds and again changed the percentage from 0% to 100% for the design and line to work, this then automatically added a key frame onto the timeline.

In addition to this we then looked at creating a tilt shift, to do this I had to create a new composition and change the name to tilt shift composition. We were told to create a tilt shift comp so that when the line was being drawn on to the map. The map would then zoom into the final destination that the line would following to, I felt that this process was one of the hardest parts of the lesson.

To create a tilt shift I had to use the position, scale tool and the three axises which were X, Y and Z. I firstly moved the playback header to the start of the timeline to expand open the options menu I had to make sure that I had selected the 3D layer tool which was a cube shape that was located to the left of the timeline. I firstly started by looking at the positioning by changing the values to 924.0, 532.0, 0.0, I then moved onto the scale and changed the values to 117.1, 119.5, 100.0. After this I looked at the axises and changed the Z axis to 0x+2.0.

Once I had done this I then moved the timeline header to around 2 seconds 16, where I then had to change the values of the positioning, scale and axises again in order for it work. I firstly started with the position where I changed the values from 924.0, 532.0, 0.0 to 1752.0, 1020.0, 0.0. I then looked at the scale and changed this from 117.1, 119.5, 100.0 to 223.1, 223.1, 100.0 The final part that I looked at for this part was the axises, I had to make sure that the Z axis was still 0x+2.0. I then checked to make sure that the design worked properly and looked correct.

After this I then moved onto the arrows that would appear across the screen after the map had zoomed in on the final destination. To create the arrows I had to use the programme Adobe Illustrator and the pen tool, once I had done this I was then able to import them into After Effects. Before placing them onto the timeline, I had to create a new composition so that I would be able to work with this rather than confusing myself with just one composition. To make the arrows appear across the screen I had to make sure that the timeline playback header was at the beginning of the timeline, so that I was then able to move the position of the arrows off the screen to the left hand side. I clicked the stop watch so that the positioning of the arrows was locked for that key frame. I then moved the timeline playback header to around 1 second 13 and made the arrows so that they were fully visible on the screen. I noticed that this had created a key frame automatically, I finally then moved the timeline playback header to 3 seconds and change the positioning of the arrows so that the were off the screen to the right hand side of the screen. I then played the timeline to make sure that the design worked and looked correct and professional.

The final part that we did in this process and production lesson was to create a graph that would represent something about you, so I chose to create a graph about the number of days that I work through 5 specific months. I wanted the graph to fit in with the theme of the map which was work. To start off with I had to make the graph using separate layers in the programme Adobe Illustrator, to do this I used the rectangle tool. I then imported these into the After Effects, for the graph to work and appear individually I had to work with the scale tool and the positioning option. Before doing this I again had to create a new composition, using the option composition > new composition. I then placed the graph into the timeline, and selected the scale option for each bar, I had to make sure that the link for the scale for unlink and the timeline playback header was at the beginning of the timeline and change the value from 100.0 to 0, I then moved the timeline playback header half a key frame forward and changed the value of the scale from 0 to 100 so that it would appear. However I noticed that it was appear from the middle so I need to change the positioning so that it would appear from the bottom. I continued to do this for every bar that I had, once I had done this I was then able to add text to the design. The final part that I did in this process and production lesson was to create a final composition to place in all my assets into, after I had done this i was then able to render out the final composition.


I was quite happy with how the design turned out in the end however I feel that I could improve on this, but to this I going to create a new one using the same tools that I learnt in this lesson to make a new animation that looks a lot better. Below is another animation that I created in my own time, I am quite happy with how this design turned out in the end because I think that this design looks a lot better than the previous one that I created in the lesson, I feel that it looks more professional.