Wednesday 7 December 2016

Process and Production Nick - Lesson 3 Self Publishing Portrait Zine

Within this process and production lesson with Nick, we looked at the Poster Zine. Where we looked at self portraits of ourselves, I was very interested in this process and production lesson because I had enjoyed the previous two process and production lessons with Nick. I was very happy about this lesson because I always learn a lot from them and I like that they are very productive and busy to keep me going. The first thing that we did in this lesson was work with our self portrait that had been taken for University Badges, for this part we had to look at the self portrait a think about how we wanted to display this on the poster zine that we had created. I decided that I wanted to cut out the background that was based around the photograph, however using some of this I decided to take a strip of the paper and cover my eyes so that you couldn't see them. I thought about doing this because I am not so keen on my eyes which is why I decided to cover them up, if I was able to change something about myself it would be my eyes.


We then moved onto the next page of the Zine which was to use the self portrait that we had just cut out and stuck on the previous page. However this time we had to draw ourselves, but the drawing wasn't meant to be a detailed sketch just a quick drawing. I found that this was a pretty easy part of the lesson because it was just draw yourself out on a piece of paper however I found that it was the best drawing of myself in the whole wide world, but I felt that it was a good drawing to say that we didn't have a long time on the design.


For the next part of the lesson we then used the photocopier to scan our face. I thought that this process was very interesting, but weird and different to the previous things that we had done in this lesson. After we had scanned our face using the scanner we then opened up the zine and placed our scans on the page, however before we did this we were allowed to be a little bit creative and destroy and change the scan so that it fit the page and was made to look different and create a effective art piece using the scan that we had of ourselves.


In addition to this process, we then moved on to the next part of the poster zine and started to work with emoji symbols, where we were given three different ones to work with. I found that this task was quite fun because we had to create a self portrait of ourselves just using the emoji's, once I had been playing round with emoji's to create my final self portrait for this task I found that the portrait of myself looked like it was a judge or from a Shakespeare play. I found that this was very amusing when I had created it.


For my final task within this process and production lesson we were given the task of creating a self portrait of ourselves using paper that consisted of black dot from small dots to large ones. We were told that the larger dots would represent the darker areas of the self portrait that we would be referencing from and the smaller dots would represent the lighter areas of the photograph. I found this process quite fun and very different, however I also found the task quite hard because I had to make sure that we I was using the dots I got the right size for the portrait but also the correct dots that I wanted to work with.


Overall I was pleased with how the poster zine went and to improve on this further I might make zine in to several different posters. To create a range and a series that would connect well together.