Friday 11 November 2016

Seminar #5: Assessment Feedback - Polina Zioga

In today's seminar we were talked about the subject of our assessment feedback, from our presentations that we had presented the week before in our assessment week, which I found quite scary as when I present something to people I tend to become quite nervous. However; over the course of this year I do hope that this improves and I do become more confident about my work and when presenting in front of people. The first part that Polina told us to do in this session was right down what we thought went well in our assessment/presentation? What we could improve? and What I need to consider after receiving my feedback from my presentation? I found that two of the question were quite easy to answer but the other was a little more difficult, however here are the responses that I developed when looking and thinking about the questions were.

What did I do well?

I found that something I did well was to keep my presentation relevant to the subject I had chosen and also to stay focused on the presentation and topic that I was giving.

What I could improve?

How I presented my presentation because I was nervous and could have spoke clearer than what I could have done.

What I need to do from my feedback?

The part that I need to look at and develop further for this presentation is to look deeper into my chosen subject.

Once we had done this we looked at the good and bad points about the presentations overall that we had presented to the tutors. I found that there were less positives than negatives, however I don't think that this means that there is always improvement that is needed somewhere when creating our presentations.

Good Points

  • Presentation Design - It fitted the guidelines of the assessment criteria
  • Topic/Subject - They were very interesting
  • Aural Description - Good Time Management of the presentation that was being presented.
Bad Points
  • Presentation Design - Overall the text and images were quite close to the edges of the powerpoint and presentation. It should be more visually engaging and less text and better use of words, but not too fancy. 
  • Topic/Subject - Some subjects or topics are quite broad and need to be narrowed down. 
  • Title - The title should not replicate and be the same as your research question, it needs to summarise the whole topic or subject that you are researching into. 
  • Research Question - The research question needs to be phrased and said as a question. It should also be focused on the topic that you are researching. 
  • Aural Description - We need to practise talking about our presentations. 
  • Language - Use the correct terminology and Grammar, Syntax Errors. We also need to avoid using slang words. 
  • Referencing/Bibliography - Make sure you put this at the end and follow the APA 6th Referencing System.
  • Finally Submission and Attendance - You need to make sure that the submission is on time and improve our attendance because this will allow us to improve our performances.
Time Management

This is very important, time management is needed for the preparation that you need when doing your presentation. When you create something early it will make it a lot easier to spot a mistake, well before you need to submit your assessment. Also another important part is feedback that you are given because it will help you to improve the presentation that you are going to be creating. We need to make sure that we make notes every time we are given some feedback, as this will help you in the future. In next weeks seminar with Polina will be given the essay brief. I found that this seminar was quite useful, as it allowed me to think about what I could use to improve my presentation to make better.