Thursday 21 April 2016

Typographic Transcription Task 2

Within this process and production lesson with John, we were given the task to create and choose three typefaces that we wanted to take further, to do this we had to choose the typefaces that we wanted to use and create the alphabet of the Typographic Transcription of our choice. We had to do this, as our final task was to choose one of the typefaces to take further for our final transcription. The first part that we did in this process and production lesson was to find the examples of font style that we had created in the previous session with John. I found that the ones that I had created before, were very messy and I wasn't too sure whether I liked them. So I decided to create three new font types based from the types that I had previously created in the other process and production lesson. The tools that I needed for this task was pens, pencils, fineliners, plain paper and graph paper. My favourite piece of material that I liked to use within this lesson was the graph paper and pencils, as I found this piece of materials easier to use than the others because it allowed me to create my typographic transcriptions in a neat and professional way, that would be seen easily by me and others. I thought that this was very important because I needed to make sure that my typeface was easy to read, see and understand because I wouldn't like people to struggle whilst looking at my designs that I have created.

The first part that I decided to within this process and production lesson was to create a typeface that I wouldn't usually look at, which was a 3D typeface that I created using the graph paper. To create this font type, I had to use several tools that included a ruler, a rubber, a pencil and some graph paper, I found that this font type was very difficult at first because in my own opinion I find typography quite tricky and hard. However to create this fantastic piece of typographic transcription, I had to make sure that I focused very well on the font that I wanted to create in order for the type face to be perfect. Before creating the typographic font, I had to use a ruler to create a grid system that would allow me to create the alphabet in a perfect proportion, so that the designs and letters would be very consistent. I found that this process was a lot easier than before because I found that the letters that I had created without a grid system, look messy and unprofessional. I felt that the letters and my alphabet designs need to be professional, easy to see and read, but also very consistent so that the designs will work well together. Below is a photograph of my first typographic transcription that I created:



The next part that I decided to do for my second typographic transcription was a lot more simpler than the first transcription that I had created for this task. I decided to create something more simpler because I thought that I wanted to create something that was in my style a little more, for this font type, I decided to use graph paper and a pencil. To create this style, I decided to look at creating a font style that was thinner, but tall. I still wanted the alphabet to be creative, but simple, easier to see and read. I think this is important because you don't want people to struggle and not be able to understand your alphabetic typographic transcription that you are creating. My favourite part about this font type face transcription was the simplicity of the letter form that I had created for this design style, I think that if I was to improve this font type even further, I would try to design a type face that would be more creative, a little more professional than this one that I have created. The photograph below shows the second typeface transcription that I created within this process and production lesson:


My final typeface that I created for this process and production lesson, I found was a lot better than the second design and the one that I had previously created because I think that the typeface before was two simple and I want to create something that I wasn't too difficult, but would be creative and quite fancy. I wanted to again create something that was in my own style and would suit me the best. However I had to consider the design, I wanted people to understand and see the letters and alphabet that I wanted to create. I decided to again be slightly simple but the letters that I created was slightly more bolder and thicker, as the letter forms had slightly more depth and easy to see, which I thought was very important when creating my final typeface transcription for this process and production lesson. Overall, I wasn't sure whether I liked this typeface, as much this was because I wanted to create something that was a lot more creative and different to something that I had already designed before. The image below shows the third and final typeface that I created for the lesson:


I think that this process and production lesson was good, however I found it quite hard because I am not brilliant at drawing and I sometimes find it hard to create typographic designs. Overall, I learnt quite a lot in this lesson and was happy in the end after completing the task that we were given, however I do feel that I could improve my typefaces by making them even better and more creative so that they would look more professional and more appealing to the target audience that the typeface transcription I am creating are aiming at.