Thursday 7 April 2016

Year one Finale - Animation

This was my final Process and Production lesson that I had with Sara, I found this lesson was very fun and different to the previous lessons that I had with Sara because in the previous lessons we focused on Kinetic Typography, I found that this task that we had been given was very different and very fun. The task that we were given in this process and production lesson was creative collaboration with everyone in our group, where each of the students had to create a 10 second animation on the theme of objects or creatures that live in the sea, which will be edited together into one continuous sequence. I thought that this task would be fun and would defiantly look creative after the designs of each students have been put together.

Within the previous lesson, we were told to think about a sea creature of our choice that we wanted to create for this final piece, the first thing that popped into my head was Killer Whales after I had seen them in real life when I was little, so I decided that I wanted to create something that connected well to me. To create my design I had to use the programme Adobe Illustrator, which allowed me to create a professional and vector Illustration of the sea creature. I think that the programme was the best suited for this task, to create my Vector Illustration of my Killer Whale I used a photograph that I found of my photo when I went on holiday as a reference to my design. The tools that I used to create this design was the pen tool, paint bucket tool to add a fill to the design, so that it would stand out to the target audience and they would be able to understand what is being shown on the screen. The colours that I used for this design were Black and White because it would stand out and was relevant to the colours of a real life Killer Whale. 

The first part that we did in this lesson was to place my design into a new after effects document, where I was then able to modify and create an animation that I could use to for my final 10 seconded animation for the final collaboration. After I had placed my design into the the new document, i was then able to look at making my design move across the screen, I thought about how I wanted my Killer Whale to move a lot because I wasn't sure how to display my animation. I then thought about how Killer Whales jump out of the water, which got me to think about whether I could move Killer Whale from the side to centre, where it then turns and moves upwards to look like the Killer Whale is just about to jump out of the water. I thought that this was a real creative idea and was different from going from one part of the screen to the other side, as I thought that this was very basic, which I found was a little boring. To move the Killer Whale from one side to the middle of the screen, I had to make sure that the positioning on the timeline and on the screen were correct so that the design would flow in a nice way. I then had to use the rotate tool to make sure that the Killer Whale rotated upwards, however I needed to make sure that the Killer Whale Illustration rotated at the correct time that I wanted it to. To make sure that this was correct, I needed to make sure that the timing on the timeline was correct, but I needed to make sure that the design flowed well. I then changed the positioning of the whale again after the Killer Whale had tilted upwards to show the design, so that the Illustration would move upwards to look like it was about to jump out of the water. 

To add a little extra to my design, I decided to add little fish to the animation design, so that the design wasn't basic and something added to the design to make it work better and more creative. Overall I am happy with how the animation went, however I do feel that the design could be a lot better if I had a lot more time to improve my 10 second animation. Below was my final 10 second animation that I created on my own:


Here is the final collaboration that was brought together when all the students in the group had created there work using sea creatures or objects:

                                 Year One Finale - Group C from Motion-go on Vimeo.