Monday 9 November 2015

Convergence

In this Lecture, we learnt about Convergence and what convergence was? and why is it so important to us. Before going to university I hadn't heard of the term 'Convergence', I found that this lecture was very helpful to me because I found that this lecture helped me to understand what is meant by the word convergence.

What is Convergence?

'Multidiscipline 
Interdiscipline
Synergy
Integrated
Hybrid'

After we had looked at what convergence is, we then looked after different people opinions on what convergence is:
"Convergence is an ambiguous term used by various disciplines to describe and analyse processes of change toward uniformity or union. Its application in the communications sector, often referred to as media convergence, also encompasses valuable approaches and insights to describe, characterise and
understand the digital creative economy". - Media Convergence, Michael Latzer.

Convergence is interlinking of computing and IT, communications networks, and social media.
- Flew 2009.

Convergence is a relationship between media forms, not a transition from ‘old media’ to ‘new media’. - Grant, Wilkinson 2011.

I found that the quotes from different people were very helpful, as it allowed me to look at the definition of convergence from different angles. I thought that this would then allow me to look at the convergence in many different ways rather than just how I look at it. In the future, when looking into convergence I will be able to explore the term in many different ways, as I have found out that people look at convergence in many different terms. After we had looked at opinions by different people we looked at many examples of work that were based around the topics of cross-discipline/inter-discipline, integrated, hybrid analogue/digital and hybrid digital. I found that the work we were shown for each topic were very inspirational, as the work was very unusual and different to other pieces of artwork I have seen. However I thought that the styles that had been used for the designs were very creative, as they had used lots of vibrant colours and font styles that were visibly appealing.