Thursday 5 November 2015

YSP - Yorkshire Sculpture Park

In one of our Studio session, we went on a trip to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, I have visited the Yorkshire Sculpture Park several times, as I like quite close to the Sculpture Park. I really enjoyed the Sculpture Park, as it has changed quite a lot since I have been to the Park. This is because there are new sculpture around the Park that I haven't seen before like the Poppies. My favourite sculpture in the park was the Poppies because it was amazing to see how they had been fitted together to create this magnificent sculpture. I found that the presentation of the Poppies were very professional and creative, as the design was very well structured. The colour of the Poppies that were red was very bright and vibrant, which is good because it allows the target audience to see the Poppies very easily.


Whilst I was at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park the weekly task was to focus on the categories, Fringes and Edges and Opposition and Convergence, however I also wanted to focus on the other weekly focuses too for my primary research, as I was still struggling with the research. 

GRIDS

The first part that I decided to focus on whilst I was at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park was Grids, as I had already done lots of research for Grids on my secondary research by researching into Josef Müller-Brockmann. So whilst I was at the Sculpture Park, I decided to look out for the Grid Systems that had been used around the park for inspiration when designing my own artwork. 

I thought that this was a perfect example of a Grid System because it has been used for a fence at the side of a walkway. My favourite part about this piece was that you could use the Grid System, as a Frame to take a good quality and professional photograph that would catch the attention of the target audience very well. I think that the Grid System that has been created is very professional. I will take inspiration from this Grid System when designing my own artwork for my final outcomes, when I produce them.

FRAMES

After I had looked into Grids at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, I then decided to look at Frames, as again I had researched parts of Frames for my secondary research, however as my project was based around the sense of place of New York, I needed to look at framing as the photographs that I had taken didn't have wasn't really framed. I thought that this was very important part for me to look at, whilst I was at the sculpture park. 

The first two photographs that I chose to take was framing. This was because my friend decided to stand in the arch whilst we took a photograph of it framing around her. I thought that this photograph was a good example of framing because it was a natural frame. I thought that if I was to improve this photograph, I would try to change the colour to add more vibrant colour.


I thought that this Photo was a good example of Framing because it shows how I used the sculptures 
to create a new Photo using other objects. I think that this Photo is very creative, however to improve this Photograph I would ask one of my friends to look through the gap in the sculpture to create an effective Photograph of Framing.


MACRO AND MICRO

Another category that I had to focus on, whilst I was at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park was Macro and Micro Photography, I found this category quite hard because I don't have a Macro lens, which allows me to produce perfect and professional quality Photographs that will catch a lot of detail that will allow the target audience that I am aiming for to understand what is being displayed and featured in the Photography that I have taken. I also found that Micro Photography was very difficult because I hadn't really heard about Micro Photography, as I had only heard of Macro Photography. I learnt that Macro Photography was a photo that is taken and shows detail and Micro Photography is a Photograph that features more detail than a Macro Photograph.

These are some Macro and Micro photography, that I have taken whilst I was at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. My favourite photographs are of the leaves as I think that the photograph on the bottom right is very good quality, as the photograph that I have captured allows me to see the amount of detail that a leaf features. My least favourite photograph is of the stone wall because I feel that this photograph doesn’t capture a lot of detail like the leaves. 

However, I do feel that the colour of the Stones are very bright, vibrant and colourful, which will catch the attention of the target audience very easily. I think the Photographs that I have taken at the sculpture park are good, however I feel that they could have been better, as I could have used a Macro lens to capture the detail of the objects even more, rather than using a normal camera lens. Overall I am quite pleased with how these photographs have turned out.    

              



PEOPLE

Whilst I was at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, I decided to look at the subject of People. I found that this subject was quite hard to look at because I wasn't entirely sure what to take photographs of when it came to the subject of people. My favourite Photograph that I have taken is displayed below, it is of my friend Elenor, I know that this photograph is really relevant to the project of a Sense of Place, but I thought that the photograph would fit into my project somewhere, as it is relevant to one of my categories that I had to focus on.

I like this photograph because it show Elenor's personality, as she funny and lovely, she is also showing her interests in the photograph, I know this because she is acting a part of the opening titles in one of our favourite Tv Shows, Pretty Little Liars.  

                                 

This below is another photograph that I like, which I have taken. The photograph below, which I have taken captures people that are looking at the Poppies that we went to visit at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. I think that these photographs that I have taken are good examples of people and places.


I found this category quite hard to focus on because I wasn't quite sure how I was going display People in my photography work. However, overall I was quite please with my photographs because I think that the photograph capture lots of activities of what people are doing, for example the people that are stood between the trees. 

MOVEMENT

The category that I looked at next was Movement, whilst I was at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park I found this category quite hard to look into because I was sure about what I should photograph that would be relevant to the subject of Movement. However I found the Movement quite interesting, to see how I could work with this category throughout my project.




                                   


Whilst I was walking around the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, I came across a horse that was on screen that moving using different slides. I liked this piece of artwork because I found that the animation was very creative and different to the other sculptures that I had seen around the Park. I thought that this animation worked well with the category of movement because it shows that the style animation is used to create a movement. The part that I thought they could improve on was the animal, as they could have looked at different animals other than the horse. I found this part quite hard to take photographs because it was moving at a quite fast pace, as I am not used to my camera I was sure how to take photograph after the other, so it took me longer than I thought to try and take presentable photographs. 

NAVIGATION

The next part that I decided to look at was Navigation, I found that this subject was quite easy to focus on because I was able to look at the different signage that was used around the park, I was also able to look at the different pathways and bridges that people took to find different sculpture around the park. 



Whilst I was at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, I decided to look at the different signs that were placed around the Park to help navigate people to the different areas and the sculptures that they wanted to go and look at. My favourite sign that I found was the Poppy sign because this sign was very different to the other signs that I had looked at, it was also a specific sign for one of the main sculptures at the Park. I thought that this was a good idea and would take inspiration from this sign when I design my own outcomes.

The sign, which I also like is the sign that is very informative because the sign features a lot of text although this is used to help navigate people around the Park. I think that I will take inspiration from this sign because the text that has been used is very bold and stands out, which helps the target audience to read and understand the sign. I also think that I will take into consideration the colours that I use for my design because the colours that have been used on this sign above are very complimentary, which work very well together.

MATERIAL

I thought that Material was a good category that I could look at whilst I was at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park because it was easy to look at the different sculpture and focus on what they were made from, I then could look at taking inspiration from the materials that are used to create my own design work for the project Sense of Place. 

                                      

The first photograph that I have shown below has been created using different coloured stones that have pieced together to create something new, for example like a convergence piece of artwork. The Material that has been used for the design was very rough, however I thought this material work really well for the design because the coloured stones that have been used in this design are very bright and vibrant, which would catch the attention of the target audience very easily. I think that I am going to take inspiration from the material that has been used in this design.
                                         

                                         
FORM
It was quite hard to look at this subject because again I wasn't sure how I could feature this through my photograph that I had taken whilst at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, however I was able to find something that is quite relevant to this topic. 

The photograph below shows the Poppies that were created to remember the soldiers who died and were in injured in the first world war. I found that layout of the Poppies were professional because the form that had been used to create this spectacular design worked really well to create a magnificent piece of artwork that would catch the attention of the target audience very easily. 




SOUND

I wasn't quite sure, how I could look at sound, whilst I was at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park because I found that this was probably one of the most hardest categories that I had to look at overall. However I was able to find something that did relate to sound. 

The first photograph, shows the leaves that had fallen from the trees as it was Autumn. I found that whilst walking around the park the leaves that we walked on were crumpling beneath my feet. I like the sound of the leaves being crumpled because it is very crisp as the sound very delicate.


Another photograph that could relate to sound is the lake, as the atmosphere around the lake was very peaceful, as the sound of the water flowing was very calming and soothing. This made the place a somewhere nice to go and spend your time at. 

                                      

FRINGES AND EDGES / OPPOSITION AND CONVERGENCE 

Whilst I was at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, I looked at the artist called Rob Ryan. Whilst I was looking at his work I decided to look at the category Fringes and Edges, I chose this category because the edges of the artwork that he has created by cutting out is very creative. I think that the work he produces overall is very creative, as he uses different fringes and edges for different pieces of work that he has created.


My favourite part about these two designs that were created by Rob Ryan are very creative, as I have never seen a designers work that is so professional and displays lots of detail with their work that can catch the attention of the target audience very quickly. I think that the about of detail that Rob Ryan has put into his work is very inspiring, as I feel that I am going to take inspiration from this work for my own design work. 

                                              

I think that the subject convergence is shown int this artwork above because the designer Rob Ryan, has used different elements that have been placed into this design are very good because the design has been made up of different elements to create something new. I like this because it allows the target audience to look at the design in different ways. I think that this design is very inspirational and I am going to take inspiration from this for my own artwork.