Wednesday 19 October 2016

Process and Production Sara - Lesson 2

This was my second process and production lesson with Sara, for this process and production lesson we need to bring along with us a piece of footage that we wanted to work with. For this I decided to bring a piece of footage that I had taken whilst I was at Athletics of my friend running, I found that this footage would be very interesting to work with.


The first part that we did in this process and production lesson was to open up the programme called adobe After Effects that we were going to work with throughout this lesson. The next part that we had to do was to open up the system preferences and make sure that the Preserve option was off. I then select the file menu > interpret footage and make sure that the frame rate that we were going to be working at was at 25. I then looked at the option known as separate fields, where I had to select the option upper field first and then select ok. I had to rescale the size of the composition, that I was going to be working at, which was 1240 x 1080. For this lesson we had to select a piece of footage from our chosen video that we wanted to work with because within this lesson we learnt how to loop a video.

The next thing that we worked with was the pen tool, to cut around the Video/Animation that we wanted to use in our first frame at the beginning of the timeline. To skip to the frames that I wanted I used a keyboard short cut, which was to hold down the command button and select either the left or right arrows. This would then move the line on the timeline to next frame along. I then had to open the clip in the bottom menu located at the side of the timeline and select Masks > Masks 1 > then select Mask Path stopwatch, which then create a Key frame on my timeline for the mask.

We then watched a short animation that was the introduction which was created for the British Athletics Grand Prix that was featured on BBC2, this advert used roto scoping. I found that the style that had been used for this advert was very interesting and creative. I like watching athletics, so I found that this animation interested me a lot. The use of colours that were used in this design were very bright, bold and very vibrant so that it would catch the attention and stand out to the target audience well.

                  

In addition to this we then watched another advertisement for Athletics, however this was for the IAAF World Championships in Daegu 2011. I found that this animation was very colourful and used a loop on the long jump to make it look like someone was jumping over and over. I thought that this was a nice piece and I am going to take inspiration from this for my own designs. 

I then selected on the composition, then choose the option layer > time > enable time remapping. This puts the keyframe at the front and the end of the timeline automatically which you don't have to do yourself, however I was told that we needed to a new key frame point just before the end of the timeline which is the frame before. After I had done this I then had to delete the key frame that was at the end of the timeline. 

We then had to create a final composition that was 10 seconds long, this was so my animation on a loop would work. I had to make sure that the shape that I had drawn around was the same shape as the person running in each frame, where I had to add pen point or remove a few and move them around so that they would fit and match the figure in the video. We were then told that we needed to create a simple shapes in Illustrator or find a copyright free texture that we could work with. Once I had chosen a texture I was then able to import my texture into the animation, however I had to add the previous composition that I had created into the main comp and create a solid layer that I could place behind the animation. To add the texture to the animation I had to place the texture layer below the footage layer, I feel like this could be experimented with and looked at further, I have also thought about in the future adding other pieces of footage to use and add to the design.

The next part that I had to do to the animation was to select the property tool and loop out the duration, so that the design would loop, select alt and the stopwatch which drops down the code menu, where we can then add the code to the loop out duration. The final part that we did was render out my animation as an Apple Res 4444, which will render my video out at the best quality.

Here is my final design, I found that this lesson was very different quite fun but stressful because I did have a few problems when creating my design work.

                                               Roto Loop from Rebecca Thorp on Vimeo.