Friday 21 October 2016

Seminar #4: Assessment Preparation - Polina Zioga

The first thing that we did was look at the assessment preparation checklist that we need to use to see about our presentation that we have to produce about my chosen subject. We also looked at Design + Content + Delivery, and recapped on the previous lecture that we had done with Polina and talked about we were should be with our presentation. Polina then talked about what we should include in our presentation, which is to have:
  • 1 Slide with your Title, URL, Name / Surname and Course
  • 2-7 Slides which will depend on your visual communication design, this will include the Background and relevant examples either text or/and images, however you need to avoid videos as these take too long to present. 
  • 1 Slide for my main Research Question
  • 1 Slide for my References and Bibliography
The most important fact that we need to consider for this presentation is to REHEARSE, because you need to know what you talking about and presenting in your assessment. Something else that is important is make notes about what you would like to say in your presentation, as this may help you throughout the assessment, but an important is to not read from your notes so rehearsing is very important. 

Since the previous lecture I have been working on my presentation by researching into my chosen subject, which is Title Sequence Designs between the 1960's to Now and how they have changed? For the past week I have been looking at Title Designs that have been produced in the 60's by the designer known as Saul Bass and title sequence that have been created in the present day by the company called Elastic. I also had to research into the background behind Title Designs and how they established, I found out that they started off in the early 1900's. 

I found that this seminar helped me because it allowed me to speak to Polina and receive feedback on how I could improve my presentation. To receive my feedback I sat with and talked through my rough draft of the presentation that I had produced. The feed back which I received was very helpful because she told me that I had quite a bit of writing and I need to summarise and be brief on the background of the title design, as I had a lot information on this which she thought was too much. She also said that I should pick example of 1 design from each era, which is 60's and now, because she thought that I wouldn't have a lot of time to present all of the examples that I had picked. The examples that I have chosen to work with is Saul Bass's The fact of Life and the new James Bond film Spectre.

Furthermore into this I have thought about what I am going to research for each of my pages and work with this plan to research into my chosen subject this will be:

  • Slide 1 - Title, URL, Name / Surname and Course
  • Slide 2 - Brief Summary of the Background and Literature review of Title Design
  • Slide 3 - Research into the Saul Bass (Title Designer from the Past)
  • Slide 4 - An example of his work (A Fact Of Life)
  • Slide 5 - Research into a Title Designer or Company in the Now
  • Slide 6 - An example of their work (James Bond Spectre)
  • Slide 7 - A Timeline of how technology has changed throughout Film and Title designs
  • Slide 8 - My Main Research Question
  • Slide 9 - References and the Bibliography
I am also going think about any additional pages that I could add to my presentation.