Wednesday 26 October 2016

Process and Production Aidan - Lesson 2

Within this process and production lesson we were given the task of creating four different design briefs, which were various posters. Out of the four we were told that we should design three, using the techniques that we had learnt in the previous lecture. For the third brief were given a list of designer that we could take inspiration from. To start with we looked at some examples of typographic design and communication. We were told that this lesson was important due to it being linked to the next process and production lesson with Aidan. Firstly to start off with I decided to look at the four different briefs and sketch out my ideas of what I wanted to produce for this lesson.

Brief One - A3 Poster for an acoustic night. The rules that we were given were that you could only use typography on the poster design. We weren't allowed to use images or pictures at all, however you may use any numerous typefaces that were found in the document to help you with the design direction. You could also only use THREE type sizes one large, one medium and one small. Don't worry about colour we are trying to work with the type scale and hierarchy. So we were told that we should just use only the colours Red, Black and White, however we could also use tints too. I found that this brief was quite tricky to go and work with. Although I did keep powering through until I had an idea of what I wanted to produce do this brief.




The next brief that I looked at was for the Craft Beer Expo 2017 event, where we were told to create an A3 Poster. Again the rules from the previous brief again applied to this one. I found this brief quite interesting and hard to think about because I wasn't sure what to produce for this poster design. So I felt that this brief was the one brief that I shouldn't consider for this task. This then left me with the final two briefs, from looking at the briefs I found it exciting because these other two briefs that we were given look quite fun. As I had lots of different ideas that I could use to produce a final poster design for the last two briefs.

The first being an A3 sized poster for a brief called Interpret, the  rules that we should consider for this task were that we should quickly research into the designer of our choice that we wanted to talk about and take inspiration from for our own design work. From the research we should find out key information that we need and call out the characteristics that make up the visual language of our chosen designer. Do they use a particular colour palette, so if they do we could use this to match the design style. Does the designer structure there work in a particular way? Is it hand drawn or is it physically made?

The designer that I decided to look into was Paula Scher below are some of the facts that I found and researched about her that I could use within the design that I was going to create.

She is an American Graphic Designer, Painter and Art Educator who attended the Tyler School of Art. Paula was born in 1948 in Washington DC. Where she has worked for companies like CBS Records, Russian Constructivism, Koppel and Scher. She was also the first female principal in Pentagram. Paula is now a Typographer and Print Layout Artist in New York City. I chose to look at Paula Scher, as I found her work very professional and modern. As the layouts, she uses are very
skilled and efficient. I wanted to look at Paula’s work in more depth because of the style and profession of her work. I think it’s Bold and stands out, which makes a Statement throughout her work. I have noticed that her work is very consistent. I thought that my poster design that I am going to create will represent the style of her work.


The final brief was again to create an A3 sized poster Design for a design meeting, which is known as Wilson's Republic 6. The rules for this poster design needs to include the WR logotype and Pipe Marque. You need to use the WR colours, only use the colours Red, White and Black. You could use tints and half tone patterns of those colours. The first part that I had to do for this brief was to research the word "Resilience" which is the ability of a substance or object to spring back into Shape like Elasticity. This got me to think about an Elastic Band, Slinky, Springs and Stretchy Tights, or Pants.


Overall I liked this process and production lesson because it was very different, where I had to think a lot about how I had to create these poster designs without breaking any of the rules that we were given to follow for each brief.