Wednesday 14 October 2015

Reflective Thinking and Writing

In this seminar, we learnt about Reflective thinking and writing. We were given the task to create a creative writing piece on something that has happened to us whilst being at University so far, focusing on the sketch book, blog and other work that we had started to create. In the first part of the seminar, we were given a description of what we thought reflection was.

What is Reflection?

Thoughts and Feelings, Analysing it, Reviewing it,
Development, Looking Back, Evaluating, Experience


After the definition of Reflection was explained, we were given a scenario of two interpretations of reflective writing, one that could be improved and the other that had already been improved. The scenario was if someone was late for an exam, we looked at the scenario and the points, which were wrong and could be improved in the future.

The Process of Reflection is:

                                                   Basic Observation/Describing situations
                                         Standing Back/Analysing from different perspectives
                                                                 Identifying Strengths
                                                      Identifying problems, weak areas
                                                             Considering alternatives
                                                        Action planning/Setting targets
                                                    Revisiting to evaluate improvements


Reference: Material adapted from King, T. (2002) Development of Student Skills in Reflective writing [online].

I chose to look at my sketchbook and my primary and secondary research and reflect on these pieces of work:

'As part of my project 'A Sense of Place', we had to do primary and secondary research. It was important part of the brief to make sure that I had maximum knowledge on the subject. I found this quite scary because I was a little confused about the brief that we had been set to begin with, as I wasn't entirely sure what route I wanted to take with this brief. I thought that my photograph of New York and mood boards went well, as my photography works well with the categories from the brief that I was given. the part that I could have done better on was my Primary research and mind maps, as I felt that this was something that I needed to work on. I have learnt many different things about this experience, which is that the research is harder than you think. I think that I could improve on this in the future by creating a timeline and plan of action, that I can use to help me do my Primary and Secondary research.'