Thursday 15 October 2015

Exterior Urban Drawing

Process and Production - Illustration

In this process and production lesson we were required to go into the centre of Huddersfield to produce some location drawings. Where we had to produce several drawing from the categories, Line Drawings that works with perspective drawing, we also had to look at People and Places, Type in Context, Skylines, Reflections and Architectural themes; i.e. doorknobs, Gargoyles, windows and etc. As I was in Group C1, my group went to the Market and Piazza, then the New Street Shopping Area near Primark and lastly the Gothic Quarter. We did Location Drawing to broaden our minds on what we could produce when drawing and looking at different Architectural drawings. Before we started drawing in different locations, we were given a wooden board, 2 sheets of A2 paper, 5 sheets of A5 Tracing Paper, a brown envelope that I could use for experimentation and lined paper that we could use for perspective drawing.

                               

On the day of the drawings I wasn't best pleased with how my drawing turned out because I wasn't so happy with what I had drawn, as I am not fantastic at drawing. However, after a couple of days, I  started to like them a little more after I kept looking at my Illustrations in more detail. The part of this lesson that went well was the drawing that I produced at the Market and Piazza because i found that this drawing was one of my best overall, as my others didn't really look that good. I am happy with how this drawing was created, as I used five layers of tracing paper that I have built on top of each other. My bottom layer is a drawing of the Market and Piazza, then the other four layers that are on top are of people that walk by every couple of minutes.

                                
                                                              

I think that the other parts that could have gone better was the drawings that I produced in the Gothic Quarter because I feel that the drawings that I produced weren't brilliant, as I am not that brilliant at drawing. I think that these could have been better, if we had more time at the Gothic Quarter because I would have been able to take my time on the drawing to make them look professional and presentable. Another reason that I could do to improve my drawings would be to add more detail to the drawing to create a more creative drawing that people would be able to understand more easily.


I think that I would do something differently, if I had the chance to improve on my Location Drawing because I think that if I had more time to draw, I would maybe add a lot more detail to the drawings to make them stand out more. This would make them easier to understand what is being presented within the drawing. I think that the location drawing has helped me in many ways because it has allowed me to experiment with drawing and improve on my drawing skills to produce good outcomes. I have learnt many things from this that I should like my work whether it rubbish or good, location drawing has helped me to broaden my drawing skills in many ways. In the future, I feel that I am going to try do some location drawing when I visit different places to improve my drawing skills, that would allow me to get better at drawing.



This is one of my Location drawings that I drew, whilst I was in the Gothic Quarter. The building that I decided to draw whilst I was there was the Nando's building. I decided to draw this building because I liked the architectural style of drawing, as the building was very historic and featured a lot of historic buildings, that featured lots of historic features that were nice to draw. The material that I used for this drawing was Charcoal pencils. I did like using the Charcoal Pencils within this drawing, however in the futureI would like to experiment with different materials like Pens, Pencils, Marker Pens and Pastels. This would then allow me to see, which material would allow me to produce the best possible outcome for my Location drawing. I like this drawing that I have produced because I have tried to capture the structure and layout of the architectural building. My least favourite part about this design is that the drawing is very simple and basic, if I was to improve on this design I would try to draw this building more detail to create a professional and presentable looking drawing of Nando's.