Wednesday 21 October 2015

Convergence

In this seminar, we recapped on the subject of Convergence. Convergence is two things that come together to create something new, for example changing something to make it look different. After we had recapped on what Convergence was we then had to tear pieces of newspaper by cutting or ripping the newspaper into halves, quarter or however you wanted to tear or cut them. Whilst tearing the newspaper we had to look at the words, sentences, paragraphs, letters or images. Once I had torn these pieces of newspaper, we then had to change the layout of the papers to create something new. This would then mean that the message wouldn't make sense.

When doing this task I decided to stick with text because the newspaper I was given didn't really feature many pictures apart from the one that is featured in the photograph below. For this piece below I decided to look at different stories that I could use to create something new, for this piece that I created below, I tried not to tear throw parts of the words on the newspaper, so that the words would be easy to see and read. 


For this next piece that I decided to create was based around Football because I wanted this piece to fit well with each other, as I wanted the piece to connect but in a new way, as the story that I tore would be mixed to create something new. This piece was my favourite one to do because football is very interesting and mixing the stories around made it better. Whilst I was creating this piece using the Newspaper I decided to tear through the words to make the convergence more interesting, as it would allow me to create something new and different, that wouldn't make any sense. 


After this I then did something very similar to the last example, but this time I used different pieces of text from different stories that were featured in the newspaper that I was given. However for this example I used stories that featured more text, were bold and stood out because I thought that this would make the convergence example more eye-catching. I also tried not to tear through any of the words so that it would be easy to read. Although it was quite hard not to, as we weren't given any scissors to use within this task.  

Before we started to do this task we looked at man called William Burroughs, who is mainly known for cut ups in the 1960's, however the style of his work originally came from Dada. Dada is type of Movement related to art from the early 20th century. The style that William Burroughs is known for allows us to cut up words, sentences, phrases and paragraphs to create something totally new that just doesn't make sense, that can be created into different images that people will then be able to look at from a different angle. 

I liked this seminar because it was very productive, as there was a lot to with this task, I felt that this task was open minded, as you could do absolutely anything with the newspaper to create convergence, something new that would be different than it was before and it wouldn't make very much sense. However I find that the hardest part about this task was tearing the pieces of newspaper because the paper was very delicate and really thin, so it was really hard to tear the newspaper. I thought that the style that we were using to create convergence is very creative and I think that I may look into this style more as it is nice style, which could be used as part of my project, as this artwork may work well with part of the styles that I am wanting to use within my design work. These are Illustration and Animation, because I may tear up pieces of the New Map and place them in different places for my animation.