Friday 30 October 2015

Typography Seminar

In this seminar we were given the three letters that we could design using six post it notes. This could either be Uppercase or Lowercase. We did this exercise to create new typefaces. The 3 letters that I were given were K, L, M. I was quite excited when I got these letters because I had already thought about, which few letters that would have liked to have be given and letter M was one of them.  I knew that this task would be very creative and exciting because I do like typography, when it comes to graphic design. It is one of my favourite part to do in projects to chose to a typeface that will be perfect for my design work. When choosing a font style, I always make sure that the font is very professional, bold and stands out well, so that the target audience will have no trouble reading the writing that I have chosen to use.

In this seminar I decided to look at different styles that I could use to create the three letters. The three main styles that I tried to focus on were the Cut out method, 3D design, Calligraphy and I also decided to fold and tear one of the post it notes to create part of the letter.

The first letter that I had was the Letter K, for this design I decided to try the cut out method that would allow me to see through the letter, however I found this design quite difficult to do because I didn't have a scalpel to cut out the letter perfectly, I only had a set of scissors to use. When using the scissors, I found it quite difficult to cut, as the scissor weren't the best, which made the letter k, that I was trying to create really messy. Overall I was still happy with this letter because it still looked like a letter K. After I had cut out the letter on the post it note, I then decided to place a blank post it note underneath the design to create an effective design. To improve this design, I feel that I could add a pattern to the bottom post it notes to create a creative design that would stand out to the target audience very well.

The next letter that I designed was the letter L, for this design I used the 3D style because I want to try something new to create this letter. I decided to use this style because I thought that the style was very effective and had lots of depth added to the design to create a creative piece that the target audience would understand by the target audience. For this design, I decided to use a pencil, as I didn't really want to use pen in case the design went wrong. However to improve this design even further, I would use different materials to make this design even better.

My final Letter was the letter M, for this design I decided to use two separate post it notes to create one letter. However I did this so I could use two separate styles for both halves of the post it notes. With the first post it note, I decided to fold and tear the paper into the shape of the first half of the letter. However to get the perfect shape for the design I used a pencil and ruler to mark out the exact place that I needed to tear for the design. This then create a bold letter that does stand out very well to the target audience. For the second half of the letter I decided to use a calligraphy style because this is one of my favourite styles to use that is related to typography. I finally stuck both of the post it notes together to create one big letter. To improve this design I think that I should maybe add some colour or a pattern to the bold post it notes to make it stand out even more.

Below are the three Letters that I created:


Overall I am quite happy with how all three of my letters turned out in the end because I thought that the styles that I had chosen worked very well together. 


After we had created are three letter in any way that we wanted, then all placed our letters in alphabetical order to create a Pangram, that would allow the whole class to see how all the designs that had been created looked when they were all put together to create one big piece of artwork. We this by going at a few tables at a time to place our letters at the front of the classroom onto a 2 long tables to create the Pangram



To show the finishing piece for the design I decided to take a panorama shot to show the final Pangram, however whilst trying to take this photograph I found it quite hard to hold my phone steady to create a perfect panoramic shot of the entire thing. Overall I think that the Pangram was really good.




Overall I really liked this seminar because it was really productive and I found the task really fun, as we got to create new typography fonts. In the future I am going to task inspiration from this task because it will allow me to look into create my own font styles for my own art and design work.