Monday 26 October 2015

Typography - Lecture

Typography
                 
‘Font is what we use, 
Typeface is what you see’

In this lesson we looked at Typography, we did this to understand the basic meaning of what typography means, how do we know the different between Serif and Sans Serif. I found that this lesson was quite useful, as it allowed me to understand how typography works, is so important to us as designers when choosing font styles for my design.

I think that the part that went well in this Lecture was being able to understand what typography means and which is font style is the best to use for my designs. I found that the best font style that I could use for my design is bold, which stands out.





We then looked at how words are made to reflect, express and perform content for - how is the signifier made to be related to the signified. I think that this is an important point because it means that the some people believe that the typography should be related to the topic and style that is used. After this we watched a documentary called Helvetica that featured Massimo Vignelli telling us about the work that he has created over the years including the design that he created for the New York Subway Map.

We were then told to think about questions like: Is reading a case of noticing or not noticing typography? Do visible words demand a different form of reading? I think that these questions are very important to think about when looking at typography because we need to look at the typography that will be easily displayed and read by the target audience. Also does the words that would be displayed in the typography mean different things to different people and could it be read different by many people.

I found that this lecture was very helpful and will help me a lot in the future to come, when I have to think about typography to use within my design work for the projects that I am given. I will always ask questions about whether this typography is best suited and what others may think of the typography and whether it could be displayed as different things to other people.