Thursday 7 January 2016

Interior Drawing

Within this Process and Production lesson, we were given the task of drawing Illustration inside the building, however we could also focus our intention to what was beyond the university by looking out the windows. The first part that we had to before being split into our groups, we had to gather our materials that we wanted to use to create our sketches, which was my sketchbook, pencils, fine liners and coloured pens and pencils. The first location that we were given to draw was in the Studio, where we given the idea of drawing what we could see from the window. I found that this was very helpful because there was lots of elements and attraction that I could focus my designs onto. The first attraction that I decided to focus my drawings on were the church that was located opposite the studio, I found that this attraction had lots of elements and detail that I focus my sketches onto, as the church had lots of architectural detail, which I found was magnificent.

However John came to talk to us about how we should look at doing quicker sketches instead of focusing all our detail on one attraction, he should us ways of how we could overcome this within the task, I took his advice and look at the curves and the layout of road as it was simple and I had a lot of intention to put more detail in this design to make it look like the road that I was drawing. To create this drawing, I used several different materials, which were pencils to firstly get the basic structure of the road that I drawing, I was then able to use fine liners to add tone to the design to show the main features of the design. The final material I used for this design was felt pens to add slight colour to my design. I think that overall this Illustration is good but could be better, as the could have been more detailed and could look more professional and less rushed, as I find drawing quite hard and it sometimes doesn't go to plan and how I would actually like the drawing to go.


After I had completed this drawing, I then decided to look at drawing something that was inside of the building, I had drawn something that were using a landscape design, I decided to look at people. I asked my friend Elenor if she didn't mind if I drew her. I like this drawing that I have created, however within this design I decided not to include her facial features such as her eyes, nose and mouth because I thought that this would ruin the design this is because whenever I draw facial features it tends to go wrong and the design never looks right. However if I did have more time to improve on this design I would have attempted to look at adding the facial features by taking my time. Overall I think that this drawing looks fine and professional, another point that I would do if I had more time to improve this drawing would be use the felt pens to add colour to design to make the main features like her hair and jumper stand out from the drawing. 


Once I had completed drawing my friend Elenor, I found that I had only 10 minutes left in the Studio before changing to a different location, so I again decided to draw something that was inside. The item that I chose to look at was a light, that is normal used to brighten the room if it is used in a photography studio. I liked to draw this item because it was simple, basic and quite easy to draw, however I did find a few difficulties when drawing this design. Overall I am happy with how my drawing looked in the end, as the simple, quick and looked like the item that I was trying to draw, which I was happy about in the end. To improve this draw, if I had more time I feel that I could draw this item in more detail, so the drawing would look more realistic than it does at the moment.   
                                     

We then moved onto a new location, which was the Ground Floor Atrium and Cafe. In this location, I decided to focus on the interior drawing of what I could see within the building. For this drawing, I decided to use materials like pencils because I felt that this was the best material to use to create this drawing. I thought that if I was to improve on this drawing, I could use Fine liners and Coloured Felt Pens to add colour and tone to the drawing. When drawing this Interior drawing, I found it hard to focus and draw because I felt that the drawing wasn't looking right and I didn't like how it looked, as I thought it was very messy and unprofessional, even though it was only meant to be a sketch. 


We finally moved to the Balcony, which was our final location for our interior drawing / Process and Production lesson. Within this location, I decided to face towards the windows of the building because I felt that there was more detail and features to draw within this area. the drawing below is the view that I had had from where I was sat on the Balcony. Again within in this area, I found it hard to draw because in my opinion, I am not the best drawer and I do find it hard to draw sometimes. when creating this drawing I used several different materials, which were pencils and coloured Felt Pens because it made my drawing stand out and capture the main features of the design that I had drawn. To improve on this design if I had more time, I feel that I could produce this drawing with more detail, as it would allow me to improve on my drawing skills, I could also make sure that the design looks more professional and easy to see what it being displayed in the photograph. 


My final drawing is a section of the drawing above, but it is displayed with more detail. I found this task and location the hardest to draw, however after John saw me struggling he suggested that I should work with the Felt Pens more because I well suited these. I took on his advice and drew the section using the Felt Pens and tried different techniques by blending the colour and making sure that the colour were the same in real life, as this would help me to improve my skills and produce a professional looking drawing. Overall after taking John's advice I felt that my drawing improve slightly and I started to like how my drawings looked after I had drawn them. 


Overall, I am happy with how my drawings turned out in the end and I have taken on board to like my designs and drawings as they are even if the don't look good, professional or even messy. I think that my skills of drawing are improving, but they are only going to get better by time, so in my spare time I am going to try and draw different items and interior to improve on my skills even further. However I am happy with how this Process and Production lesson went.