Monday 4 January 2016

Studio - Fringes and Edges / Opposition and Convergence

For this weeks topics, I had to focus my research on Fringes/Edges and Opposition/Convergence. I found that this weeks task was one of the hardest to work with because again I was sure how I could fit these topics within my project work. However after the looking into the topic of convergence and a visit to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, I found a lot of inspiration that would help me within my research.


The first part that I decided to focus on was the topic of Convergence, after looking at Convergence I decided to research into the man that created the topic, which was William S. Burroughs. Whilst looking into him, I found lots of interesting facts about his life and why he created convergence, which means taking pieces from something old to create something new. After looking at his career and life, I decided to look at pieces of his work that he had created using the style of convergence. I found a piece of his work memorising because it was a selection of different pieces of text that was mashed up to create a new piece of design work. I found that this piece of design work was very inspirational, as it got me thinking about creating something like his design work for my project or my research. After this I then found an inspirational quote that was said by William S. Burroughs, which I found was a inspirational quote that was very creative, this was: 

"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." -William S. Burroughs.


I then decided to create a piece of convergence myself for my primary research using resources that I had collected based on Huddersfield at my accommodation. I found that this task was very fun because I was able to design and create something new out of things that I had collected. I found that this task was very inspirational and got me thinking about how I could use this style for my own design work within my Sense of place project. I thought that I could print out photographs of New York and place them within other pieces of photography that I had taken to create something new, I thought that this would create an effective piece, that would catch the attention of the target audience very easily.


The final task that I did this week was to create a page that was based around the topic of Fringes and Edges. I found that this task was quite hard to look at, however after I had been to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park I found that this topic was a lot easier to look at because I decided to look at an artist that had an exhibition at the YSP. I found that his work had lots of fancy edges and fridges. For this I page, I thought could look at piece of his work that was displayed at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Whilst looking at the Rob Ryan, I found a inspirational quote that I found was very inspirational to me, which was:
"Listen to the World."-Rob Ryan