Monday 4 January 2016

Studio - Materials / Form / Sound

For this weeks task I had to look at the topics of Materials, Form and Sound. For this weeks topics, I found it quite difficult to focus on the topics because I wasn't sure what to look at and would be very relevant to my project that I was going to be creating. For this weeks focuses, I found that the easiest topic for the week was materials because I was able to have a understanding of what materials I could look at using for my project. I found that the hardest topic within week was form because again I wasn't sure what to research within this topic. 


The first part that I did for this weeks topics was to start with the topic of materials. For this topic, I had to create a materials page using secondary research to look at the materials that would be the best to use within my project and my design work. Whilst doing this page, I had to think about the materials that would be the most useful to me, but I had to also think about materials that I could use, but I might not want to use. To create a materials page, I had to create a chart of materials and answer several questions about whether I could use them within my design work. These questions were: Is the material Cheap or Expensive? Is it Eco-Friendly? Can I work with this Material? 

Once I had done this I then moved onto looking at different buildings that were looked around New York City, using the resources of Google Images and Pinterest, to create a mood board that would provide me with a lot of inspiration to look at when looking at existing building in New York City. I found that the building in New York were all different to each other, which gave me a lot of inspiration that I could look at producing something old that would relate to the old building or I could create something that was new and would work well with the new and stylish buildings. 


After I had created a mood board of different architectural buildings in New York City, I decided to analyse several of the buildings by looking at the Rockefeller Centre, the Guggenheim Museum and the Frank Gehry's Beekman Tower. Whilst I was looking at these buildings, I decided to look into the styles of art that was used to create these buildings, I found that some of the building had been created using an Art Deco style, however other had parts of Art Deco within the structure and work. I found that the building based in New York were very stylish, modern and creative. 

As I had found out that most of the buildings and attraction were created using the Art Deco style, I decided to look into the style even further by looking at when the style was created, and what it is was mainly used for. I found a book from the library, which told me a little more about the style. Where i was able to find out that the style was used as contemporary style, whilst I had the book I decided to look at a piece of artwork that was created using the style called Rococo in France. I found that this style of artwork was very basic, as the colours that was used within this style are very simple. 


I then moved onto my primary research, whilst I was looking at the people of New York, I found that the topic sound came together with the topic of people because I decided to analyse the way of life that people in New York were living. To do this I had to think back to my time in New York City and look at the main topics that would come under people and sound. I had to look at how busy the city was, I found that whilst I was in New York City, it was extra busy however when I did go to visit the place it was a bank holiday weekend in the United States. Although I found that it was a lot busier over there, than where I am living. I then looked at sound, I had to think very carefully about what I could hear whilst I was in New York, I heard a lot of sounds from Taxis and cars hooting their horns to people talking. The final part that I decided to look at was the traffic in New York, I found that the traffic was a lot busier in New York because it where I live there isn't as much traffic. 


After I had looked at the topics of people and sound in New York, I decided to compare this to the town that I am living in at the moment, which is Huddersfield. For this I decided to look at the points that I had looked at whilst in New York, however when looking at these points I found that they were very different to New York. I found that Huddersfield was less crowded and busy than New York, as people could move freely. I also found that the sound that was created in Huddersfield wasn't as loud because the only part that I could really hear was people talking, whilst they walking past me, babies crying and the odd hoot of the car horn. Another point that I noticed was that the traffic was less busier than it was in New York because there wasn't as many queue and cars on the roads like there was in New York City. 


The final part that I did for this weeks topic within my primary research was to look at the different types of materials and methods to create part of my designs. The first part that I did was to create a street sign using the programme Adobe Illustrator, however the first material that I used to create this design was a pencil because I wanted to see how the design would look if the design was drawn on paper, the next part that I have displayed on the first page was my own photography that i had taken whilst I was in New York City. I then moved onto using the programme Adobe Illustrator by using the Image Trace button to vectorise the photograph to a Vector Illustration. I liked this Illustration, however I wanted to go even further with my design work and create a Vector Illustration using the pen tool, which then allowed me to add colour to the design to brighten up the Illustration, I thought that this would then catch the attention of the target audience very easily. 

Once I had completed this page, I then looked at creating materials page, to do this I had to gather together different types of materials that I could use within my project from paper to fabric to soft pastels. I thought that this page was very creative and very visual because I was able to take a lot of inspiration from this page when creating my design for my project. I found that this week was OK, as it could have been better, as I found it quite hard to look at points that I could research for my Sense of Place project.