Monday 18 January 2016

The Visualisation of Sound

In this lecture, we were given a new brief, which we found out was 5 weeks long, we were also told that our next brief was going to be based around the visualisation of sound. Out of the 10 tracks that had been placed on to unilearn, we had to pick 8 and create a respond to a 20 to 30 second piece from the sound track that we wanted to take. We were then told that we had to come up with 2 experimental responses each week, that would be short and sharp, but still developed. Once we had completed the 8 responses, we had to choose, which of the responses we wanted to take further, however we could only choose one. Within this brief we could use photography, Illustration, Video, Physical 3D or 2.5D.

We were then shown that there was three possible outputs, which were:

Notation
Interpretation
Experimentation

The first topic that we looked at was Graphic Notation, where we could expand the principles of music. The first part we were shown in the lecture was a photograph of a cuneiform, which displayed to were symbols, I thought that this could represent there own language, which I thought about very hardly, as I could create my own language that could represent the piece of music that I am looking at and exploring. We were then shown a piece of artwork by Schweizer. W. that was created in 2011, I found that this piece of artwork was very creative and colourful, as it showed me as a designer, W. Schweizer's response to the sound track Hurrian Hymn No.6. The next part that we looked at was Notation 21, where we looked at piece of artwork by H. Colding-Jorgensen (1982) that created a response to John Cages music called Chaos. 

The next topic we looked at was Graphic Interpretation, where we firstly watched a short clip of the film An Optical Poem, that was created in 1938 by a company called Fischinger. I found that this clip was very basic but very simple and very eye catching, as the graphics caught my attention every time the notes changed throughout the song, which I thought was very important. We were then shown an album over that was created by Roger Dean in 2004 for the band called Yes. I found that this album cover was very interesting and very detailed but simple, as it caught my attention very easily. We then talked about the possibility of album covers that we could create for our Visualisation of Sound project. Another CD cover we looked at was Tina Brooks (1960) called True Blue, I found that this CD cover design was very simple, but I found that the design was very creative and different the design that I had been shown before by Roger Dean. 

After this, we then stayed on topic of CD covers, but looked at the designer called Jonathan Barnbrook, who has created several designs for the late David Bowie's Albums. We were firstly shown a image of the Next Day, which featured a white square placed in the centre, but over David Bowie's head that displayed the words 'The Next Day' in bold, black font style that would stand out. We were then shown The Vinyl cover for David Bowie's latest album called Blackstar, I found that this design was very creative as the shapes displayed towards the bottom of the cover were displayed to how the name Bowie's, which I saw very easily once it had been pointed out on the vinyl cover. Another possibility that we could do for our visualisation of sound project is that I could develop a font that could be used to respond to the music. 

Once we had done this we were then shown a clip called Interplay by Jonathan Barnbrook in 2009, we were firstly shown the digital version of the clip that was for the band John Foxx and the Maths. I found that this design was very interesting however I did feel that the design could be improved very easily. We then watched the final version of the clip called Interplay that was improved with an analogue video mix, I found that this was a lot better than the first clip that we saw because it more creative and effective towards the target audience, as I felt that this clip would catch the attention of the target audience a lot more. We were then told that when creating our outcomes, we should always think about the way the music has been produced, either by it being Electronic or Acoustic or Recorded. Also how the music was put together. 

The final topic that we moved onto in this lecture was Graphic Experimentation. Within this topic the first part that we looked at was an interactive visualisation of sound that was made for real estate by company called Hakuhodo (2013), I found that this piece of experimentation was very interesting and creative. Another possibility that we could use within our design work would be to just use elements of the song. After this we were told about Lyric Videos that could create a experiment for our project, we were shown an clip of the Lyric video from the song called Home. Dir. Sophia. Rey by Leah ft Will. I. am (2015), I found that this design was very creative, as the style of the video was very detailed, but simple as the style that was used for the design was Illustration. A pointer that we were told was that the outcomes needs to be quick to produce. 

We were shown a clip that was created by Good Books called Metamorphosis, which was the Antfood, Buck and String theory (2012). We found that the clip had commissioning sound and featured the author called Hunter S Thomson, I found that this clip was very interesting but scaring as the illustration that had been created for the design were very strange. However another point that could take from this was to consider using this method by creating my own music and producing my own graphics to the sound, to create visualisation of sound experimental piece. 

The final part that we looked at within this lecture was a clip by V. Lodigiani (2014) called A few moments of Mess, I found that this design wad very inspirational, as it included a lot of detail and different elements that created one piece of artwork to respond to the music that was playing. 

Tips that we were given in this lecture were:
  • Focus on developing/enhancing your technical skills for each different piece of music.
  • Utilise simple assets, but give them character.
  • Use royalty free music if you intend to publish publicly on the web.
I found that overall I enjoyed this lecture, as we get to work on a new brief that can improve my existing skills and learn new skills that will help me to produce 8 experimental outcomes for the brief that I am going to working on.