Sunday 17 January 2016

Unlocking Innovation

When we think about reframing, we think about how we can reframe a problem that can help unlock creativity and innovation. In this seminar we learnt that taking something in a different perspective can lead to lots of amazing breakthroughs. An example that we looked at was:

'What is the sum of 5 plus 5'
and 
'what two numbers add up to 10'

The first question we shown only had one answer to it, however the second question had multiple, as it had several solutions. We found out that these two problems will differ only in the way that they've been framed. Another point, is that if you change the frame, it will change the range of the possible solutions. 

We were then told that if we create frames for what we experience and they both inform and limit they was that we think. I think that this point is very important and we should break it down and look it very differently.

We were then shown a photograph, where we looked at different methods of how we could get across a river. This was instead of using a normal bridge, we looked at a photograph that showed a bridge being held up by three ballons. I thought that this was a good idea and really clever, it was created a by an architect called Michael Barry. When looking at the Composer called John Cage, who made you think about sound tracks within films and whether one had been used for the film or it was just sound effects. 

We also looked at a man called Scott Summit, who was is the founder of a company called Bespoke, that worked with prosthetics for people that had lost a limb. We found that he wanted to create fashionable items, as he wanted to make them realistic as possible. 

Our task for today's seminar was to create a piece of artwork that would create a transformation from one word to the other in 9 stages, using either pattern, colour, type or imagery. This is to merge the stages into a narrative visual, which means we had to reframe our approach and reveal a meaning of our choice. 

 The words that I chose to us for my design were Upside and Down. I wanted to show the process that my word went from one to the other. I started by keeping my words upwards, so that it was easy to read. Within each process I changed letters from upwards to upside down, I found this very interesting and clever. I also found this task very hard, but an enjoyable task, I think that I could improve this design even further if I had more time. Although overall, I found this seminar was a good idea, as it was very creative.